ATM Security Tips
General Security Tips for ATM Users
- Never disclose your personal identification number (PIN) to anyone.
- Never use an ATM with a blank screen.
- Do not force your card into the card slot.
- Stand close to the ATM and use your body and hand as a shield to make sure nobody sees you keying in your PIN.
- Keep your hand over the card slot to make sure nobody can swap or take your card.
- Follow the instructions on the ATM screen carefully.
- Do not insert your card until asked to do so by the display screen.
- Only put in your PIN when the ATM tells you to do so.
- Avoid drawing cash late at night or when you are alone.
- Leave the ATM immediately if you don't feel safe or you are suspicious of individuals loitering around.
- Never hurry when using an ATM. Make sure you are not distracted, intimidated, or rushed into your transaction.
- Never accept help from strangers when using an ATM. Be cautious of strangers asking for help.
- Do not count your cash in front of the ATM.
- Avoid using ATMs in secluded areas after dark.
- If the ATM retains your card, cancel the transaction immediately and call the bank using the available phone or toll-free number 800-124-2424
- Never allow someone passing by to call the toll-free number on your behalf.
- Always check that it is your card you get back from the ATM.
- Call the bank in case you suspect any transaction.